YOUNG HISPANICS FROM THE SOUTHEAST USA “PASTORAL JUVENIL” PROPOSAL
(Drafted in Atlanta, GA on May 1994 they were later reviewed during the XIII Regional Youth Encounter held in St. Augustine on September 1994 and reformulated in the Adult Advisor’s Workshop held in Orlando on August 2001)
“Pastoral Juvenil” should be a process carried out by the youth which invites to know and follow Jesus as the source of fullness in life and the true human dignity. This process should stem from reality and life experience of young people and should lead them to an ever growing knowledge and following of Christ and his mission in order to transform their lives, develop leadership and find their true vocation in the Church and society.
SEPI offers to the dioceses resources for the implementation of a one day program to start a youth group, organize it and evaluate it. It also offers support to the dioceses to have retreats by and for the youth:
- EXPERIENCIA CRISTO (CHRIST EXPERIENCE) to promote a process of conversion.
- EXPERIENCIA DE EXPERIENCIA (EXPERIENCE OF EXPERIENCE) for those who are already in a process of conversion.
COURSE ON “PASTORAL JUVENIL HISPANA”
(Hispanic Youth and Young Adult Ministry)
This course is for youth and adult advisors engaged in “Pastoral Juvenil” to equip them with theoretical and practical elements to help them carry out their ministry more efficiently. It is usually held in July or August. If the student has the required qualifications, Barry University gives 2 academic credits (RSP 435/535) for taking it. See below link to the official brochure.
WORKSHOP FOR “PASTORAL JUVENIL”ADULT ADVISORS
A two and a half day program for adult advisors working in “Pastoral Juvenil Hispana”or for those considering becoming one. The workshop is designed to evaluate the topic and sub-topics of the “La Pascua” book for the next year, to reassess SEPI’s Principles of Pastoral Juvenil, and to discuss topics of interest for adult advisors. This workshop is usually held during July or August during the last days of the Course on “Pastoral Juvenil Hispana.” Requirement: to have taken the Course on “Pastoral Juvenil Hispana”.
Requirement: Course on PASTORAL JUVENIL HISPANA.
SCHOOL FOR “PASTORAL JUVENIL” ADULT ADVISORS
A 3 year program, a week each year, of study, training and spiritual growth for persons called to work as adult advisors for youth groups. The contents of the formation and training sessions include, but are not limited to:
- Principles of Theology for Christian formation
- Adolescent Psychology
- Popular Religiosity
- Work Methodologies in “Pastoral Juvenil”
- The Socio-cultural reality of the youth today
- Vocational discernment and spiritual accompaniment
The instructors are specialists in “Pastoral Juvenil” and the courses include a cultural dimension sensitive to Hispanics and are adapted to the level of knowledge of the participants according to the needs of the dioceses. It is usually held the last week of January.
- Requirement: to have taken the Course on “Pastoral Juvenil Hispana”
MISSIONARY TRAINING: YOUCAT
Catholic faith and catechism for the Youth
El Rev. Rafael Capó, Sch. P., Director del SEPI, viajó en peregrinación a la Jornada Mundial de la Juventud 2013 en Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, junto a 21 jóvenes adultos en representación de nuestra región. Estos jóvenes, que viajaron como peregrinos, regresaron como misioneros, listos para hacer lío, y seguir el envío de nuestro Santo Padre Francisco: “¡Vayan, sin miedo, para servir!”.
Como seguimiento al envío misionero del Papa Francisco en la Jornada Mundial de la Juventud, estamos realizando talleres para jóvenes adultos, entrenamientos con el YOUCAT (Catecismo Joven), en los cuales se distribuye el YOUCAT en Español a los participantes y se les proveen recursos de estudio (impresos y audiovisuales), para que ellos puedan capacitar a otros, compartir y seguir estudiando el YOUCAT en sus comunidades. Estos talleres están siendo impartidos por jóvenes misioneros, de joven a joven.
Durante estos talleres, los temas principales incluyen:
- Nuestro llamado a ser misioneros de la nueva evangelización.
- ¿Qué es el YOUCAT y cómo está organizado?
- Dedicamos tiempo a cada una de las 4 partes del YOUCAT, ofreciendo recursos como videos y preguntas de estudio/reflexión para apoyar el estudio de cada parte.
For more information please contact email@example.com
Youth Missionary Program: DOCAT
Formation Programs For Missionary Young Adults
The work of SEPI’s young missionary disciples who have developed these resources is a concrete response to the invitation of Pope Francis The Pope knows that you can transform the world if you surrender to Jesus and go with him to the peripheries and enter society with the joy of the Gospel. Therefore, accepting the challenge to be part of the million young missionary disciples of the Social Doctrine of the Church not only means studying the DOCAT and working in a group. It is necessary to encounter Jesus and allow that encounter to lead you to make a commitment, fighting for justice and human dignity, and above all for the poorest. It is necessary that group work and the study of the DOCAT take you to the peripheries, to be Church that goes forth. You are all the Church and therefore you must also worry about the conversion of the Church, so that she may be alive, so that she may be challenged by the cries of those who are most in need.
- DOCAT Guide Sample
- Youth Missionary Project: Social Doctrine of the Church
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
PASCUA JUVENIL PROCESS AND WORKBOOK
Every year since 1980 the youth who take part in this process write a book in which they apply the paschal mystery to a topic they themselves choose and they consider important in their own lives.
The process entails four meetings carried out during several months, usually from May to February or March. The participants receive the book in the final workshop, a week or two before Ash Wednesday and are sent to their dioceses to use the book in their youth groups
At the beginning of every book the methodology to produce it is explained and how to use the materials. Every chapter (to be used during every week in Lent) has:
- An introduction, especially targeting the team who will prepare the sessions.
- Dynamics or activities to be done by the group to better understand the message.
- Dialogues with questions to facilitate communication and sharing within the group
- “The Word of the Lord”, quotes inviting reflections.
- “The Church Says”, texts from Church documents about the topic at hand.
- “Stories from Real Life”, testimonies by the youth about their life experiences.
- Reflections or ideas offered by the youth to better understand the topic.
- Activities to be carried out apart from the youth meeting.
- Projects, also to be carried out apart from the youth meeting, with follow-up through several steps.
- Prayers which should be included in every meeting.
- Evaluation, to hear what the group has to say about the process.
For more information please contact email@example.com
TOPICS CHOSEN FOR THE DIFFERENT “PASCUAS JUVENILES”
If you are interested in buying some of these books, please contact our Book Service by calling (305) 279-2333 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Examples of available books:
- Young People, Dare to be a Saint! - SEPI 2019
- Discern your vocation following Mary's example - SEPI 2018
- Join the Process:the Voice of the Youth in the V Encuentro - SEPI 2017
- Mercy: seeing everyone with the eyes of God - SEPI 2016
- A Church Shaking Things Up. Do you accept the challenge? - SEPI 2015
- You’ve got a message: yes, He is talking to you - SEPI 2014
- Faith: learning, believing and transmitting - SEPI 2013
- Technology: Freedom or Slavery? - SEPI 2012
- Spirituality … not only for our Grandparents- SEPI 2011
- Looking towards ourselves: Body, Sex and our Christian Life - SEPI 2010